
Warning.. this blog post is not as chipper as most! Hehe
For those who don't know, RACQ is a roadside assistance company that come and saves you if your car breaks down, has a flat tire, etc. This is the first year I have been a member because dad has always been in the same city and he is MUCH more useful than roadside assistance. A) Because he is free B) Because he always gets it right.
This year I have had two run ins with RACQ which have led me to believe they are a waste of money. Explanation:
1. One day in about March, I drove out to Springfield to see a friend and stopped into Coles to buy some ice cream. When I came out my car wouldn't start. I thought this was a perfect job for RACQ, so I called. After waiting around one and a half hours for his arrival, a little Indian man tells me that the remote in my key is broken and not communicating with the car so I need to get the car towed to a Holden dealer for a new key. So after spending half the next day towing my car all over the country to a variety of locations (because Holden were unable to help), I spent hundreds of dollars only to discover that there was an electrical problem bigger than ben hur and my car was basically a write off. Not only should the RACQ man have been able to tell me this, but if he had I would have saved a fortune.
2. On Friday afternoon, my car overheated as I was driving home from work. Realising I likely hadn't put water in my car recently enough, I called and told the operator I needed someone to bring me water. The guy comes, quicker than the last one, and with his filthy beard and grubby hands, he arrives with about 1L of water when he needed 5. Uh hello! I told you people I needed water! Anyway, then he also tells me that my radiator has a leak and I need to get it towed and either replaced or fixed. Great. So again, trusting that he is correct, I get the car to a nearby safe location. These people are mechanics right? I mean, if all it takes is greasy hands and a beard, sign me up!! So anyway, on Saturday, Josh and I spend the day buying a radiator and replacing it the one in my car.. ONLY TO DISCOVER it was actually a leak in the overflow container, not the radiator. Imagine my irritation after spending half a day and half a fortune. Again, if they guy just got it right, I would have bought a $10 part instead of a $300 part for my car.
So this is why I hate RACQ. Misdiagnosis Anonymous. This is why they are receiving some horribly nastily worded complaint letters today. And some phone calls. And will no longer get any of my money!
Perhaps you have a similar tale to share?

Treen, I would ask for reimbursement for the trouble that they caused due to the misdiagnosis. I mean they are some major mistakes. I've never had a problem with RACQ and they've had to come to my rescue on MANY occasions. They even towed my Rav for free when my clutch went the other month. I think you've had a run of bad luck.
ReplyDelete"if all it takes is greasy hands and a beard, sign me up!! "
ReplyDeleteHehe - you with a beard :-)